Dahon Speed Uno Review - Everything You Want In A Folding Bike
Hail the return of the pedal brake! The Dahon Speed Uno will remind a lot of folks of their childhood bike except this ride is probably a little more hip, well we're guessing it might be anyway. Interestingly the Speed Uno is America's most popular folding bike, we think it's the combination of quality and style that gives it the edge and as you'll see by our review there really isn't a lot that we could find wrong.
Being a single speed pedal brake machine holds a lot of advantages. For starters the absence of cables, gears and brake lines gives it a clean uncluttered appearance. This lack of cables and clutter also has the benefit of reducing the overall weight of the bicycle, in fact the Dahon Speed Uno is one of the lightest bicycles on the market weighing in at 24 lbs making it a breeze to fold and carry and cycle.
To see this portable ride in action check out the below short vid, also covers the all important fold.
|Folding size:||11.7″ x 30″ x 25″|
|Frame:||K series, SuperLite 4130 chromoly with custom-drawn double-butted Sonus tubing|
|Handlepost:||Radius, fixed, patented Fusion technologies, forged aluminum|
|Handlebar:||6061-T6 aluminum, Flat bar|
|Grips:||BioLogic Ergo, single density|
|Front hub:||Dahon Mini|
|Rear hub:||single speed, Shimano coaster|
|Rims:||Aluminum, single wall|
|Tires:||Dahon Rotolo, 20″ x 1.75″, high-pressure 65 psi|
|Crank set:||Polished by hand and it comes with cold-forged 6061-T6 aluminum crank arms.|
|Pedals:||Suntour folding and non-slip|
- Set speed records for assembling and packin away. Our personal best was 21 seconds to fold and pack, second fastest of all the bicycles we tested to date. Oh and the fold is compact as well due to a great design.
- Lightweight, small and compact. Easy to carry and easy to travel with as it only weighs 24 lbs.
- Style, like most Dahon bikes she's a stunner and with no brake or gear shifting cables has a very clean look.
- Come with a great chain guard to prevent clothes catching and chain splashback.
- We're not painters by any means but one thing we have noticed is that the paint finish on foldable bicycles doesn't handle bumps and knocks well. This bicycle is no exception, but should you need it paint packs are readily available and cheap.
- Pedal brakes, go revisit your childhood. For some this may take some getting used to, for us we love it. But in the interests of giving readers a heads-up we included it, also we were really struggling to find negatives and we needed to bulk out this section 🙂
Gets the big tick from us. A high quality, functional, good looking folding bike. You'll struggle to find a comparable bicycle and you'll find it impossible to find one at this price range. We have no problems recommending this bicycle and it appears the American consumer agrees with this assessment with it being the most popular fold up bike currently on the market today.