Dahon Mariner D7 Review
Ever wondered why Dahon named this bicycle the "Mariner" especially given it's a bike?
Here's what we learnt, the Mariner folding bike was originally designed for boat folk and was used to transport goods to and fro from docked vessels. Once the job was done it was then folded up nice and compact for the return voyage, it was known as a reliable bike in a period of unreliable bikes.
Fast forward to today and that's still the case with the Mariner D7 being one of the most popular adult folding bikes in the US. In fact with this bike we broke our fold record, we were able to get the job done in just under 20 seconds, the only bike we've reviewed to date to go sub 20. We've added this quick video to show you just how fast it is.
Jumping to the actual ride we have only positive things to add. The seat is super comfy and is ideal for long or short rides. We tested the 7 speeds and even went up a fairly steep incline and put the gear change to the test, which passed with flying colors.
Other than functionality it's a great looking bike and weighs in at 26 lbs which when you combine the ease of the fold makes carrying the Mariner ideal for the commute, it's even got a bonus feature that we talk about in the round up below.
|Gear inches:||37″ – 85″|
|Folded size:||11″ × 31.9″ × 25.7″ (28 × 81 × 66 cm).|
|Weight:||26 lbs (11.8 kg).|
|Frame:||KM Series, 7005 Aluminum alloy, ViseGrip technology.|
|Front hub:||FM31-F 3/8 x 14 G x 20 H x 74 x 110 mm|
|Rear hub:||FM32-7 3/8 x 14 G x 28 H x 130 x 170 mm|
- Very comfortable to ride over long distances or short for that matter. The height of the handlebar is adjustable which adds even more comfort.
- Rust resistant In keeping with the Mariner name and history.
- 7 speeds for moderate hill climbs and smooth gear changes to boot.
- Easy fold bike and how's this for a cool extra, once folded it acts as a portable seat which is a big plus for standing room only commutes.
- The Dahon Mariner is certainly up there in terms of looks with smooth clean design features.
- Not the easiest bike to roll around once folded up.
- With daily use will need tires checked on a weekly basis and most likely need topping up.
No doubt in our minds that those old timers had the right idea. Our test ride, fold and review all confirm that the Dahon Mariner Folding bike is a fantastic bike at a very sharp price point. Comfortable in saying this would make our top 3 list of reviewed bikes to date.